So, since there are limitations on working on a free blogsite (not complaining – it’s free), and while I can put my old posts up at the top, it won’t list them as recently posted for tags and categories, I am also going to make a complete list. My plan is to update one a day or so, leave it at the top of the page and then drop it back to its original spot. But, here is the complete list, which should stay near the top and with which you can easily find all the categories.
I will also try to start throwing in some new posts, namely my focusing on Best Picture from each year (the posts I hope to collect into a book), but we’ll see how the next 5 weeks go.
But first, a bit of trivia. This year was so predictable that I was able to write my article for LAMB on Best Actor last night, before the nominations were announced. But there were a few little surprises, which I will throw up here.
- Up in the Air just had its chances of winning Best Picture plummet. No film has won without a Best Editing nomination since 1980.
- Crazy Heart just become the first film to win Best Song at the Golden Globes and still manage to get a Best Song nomination at the Oscars since 2003.
- The Blind Side was nominated for Best Picture in spite of not receiving a nomination from the Globes, PGA, BAFTA or BFCA. It’s the first film to do that since Dangerous Liaisons in 1988.
- For the second time in three years, all four acting categories have a nominee who already has an Oscar, though to be fair, Matt Damon’s Oscar is for Screenplay.
- It’s also the fifth year in a row that two actresses face off in Best Actress who already have an Oscar – 2005 (Judi Dench and Charlize Theron), 2006 (Meryl Streep and Judi Dench), 2007 (Julie Christie and Cate Blanchett), 2008 (Meryl Streep and Angelina Jolie), and 2009 (Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren).
- Maggie and Jake Gyllenhall now join Ethel and Lionel Barrymore, Eric and Julia Roberts and Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine as brother-sister combos with acting nominations.
Best Adapted Screenplay – update on 17 Feb
Best Original Screenplay – update on 16 Feb
Best Animated Film – update on 15 Feb
Best Foreign Film – update on 14 Feb
Best Editing – update on 13 Feb
Best Cinematography – update on 12 Feb
Best Score – update on 11 Feb
Best Sound – update on 10 Feb
Best Art Direction – update on 9 Feb
The Defunct Categories – update on 8 Feb
Best Visual Effects – update on 7 Feb
Best Sound Editing – update on 6 Feb
Best Costume Design – update on 5 Feb
Best Makeup – update on 4 Feb
Best Song – update on 3 Feb
Introduction (with Trivia) – already updated